Friday, January 7, 2011

Time Flies....

As I mentioned yesterday, today is the 16th birthday of the most amazing young lady I know.  Of course, I am her mother and I am supposed to think that way, but from what I've been told, I am not the only one with this opinion.  Yes she has her days, don't we all, but today I celebrate the life she has been given, the life she is leading and the life she has stretched out in front of her.  I remember being 16.  Things were so different back then, I remember thinking that my parents had to be from another galaxy because they were clueless about my world.  I remember thinking they were uncool and I sure did NOT want to spend a Friday night at home with them.  And then I remember realizing how much time I wasted thinking they were wrong, when in actuality they were right....A LOT. 

Now I look at Hannah and I'm beyond thankful that at 16 she still thinks I'm the coolest person she knows.  She says I'm weird, but it's a good weird and she'd still often rather be in the same room with me than anywhere else.  I love that she still wants to crawl in my lap sometimes (although it usually does NOT last long with that boney butt of hers) and she still can't wait to call me after school and tell me about her day even though just about every day it was "long and boring" with an occasional "i said hi to *insert cute boy's name here*".  She's amazing and quirky and frustrating and annoying and quiet and chatty and shy.  But my favorite part about Hannah is her hugs.  She hugs me and her Dad anytime she gets close to us; first thing in the morning, in the kitchen getting dinner ready, passing by on the way to the trash can, right before bed, any opportunity. 

God, as I reflect on all the changes, the struggles, the challenges, the joys, the laughter and the tears, I just want to say Thank YOU for picking me for her.  Thank you for knowing that she was meant for me and believing that I could assist you in shaping her into the incredible woman, wife, mother, sister and friend that she can be. 

I cannot wait to see what the next 16 years hold.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH MICHELE!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment