Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What am I "avid" about?

Three days at home and I am about ready to gnaw my own arm off.  These three days have given me a chance to examine some things in my life.  First of all I realized that I spend far too much time in front of my tv.  I used to spend time getting lost in a book, I love books, just about any book.  I love getting so involved in a book that I feel like I'm not just reading it, but that I'm actually in the story.  I haven't been able to read much the past three days because the cough meds I'm taking make me very sleepy, not conducive to reading.  I used to be an avid reader.  Now it seems like I choose the tv over anything else.  I think that I would like to have an e-reader simply because then I can still be in the room with my family while they are watching tv, but have my nose stuck in a "book" without needing a light on to distract. 

So many things I would  like to be "avid" about.  Playing games with my kids, reading, scrapbooking, exercising, eating right, however, tv seems to be the thing that wins that honor most often. I have decided that as soon as I am feeling better, I will be rearranging some things and getting back to the things I love.   

This weekend will give me a chance to start.  This is Crop Connection weekend, the annual scrapbooking event I participate in. However, I am not ready by any means.  I have not printed any pictures, gathered my supplies or anything.  I guess it's a good thing I go as much for the fellowship as I do anything else, because I am not sure I will have time to get very many pictures printed beforehand. 

I am going to try to incorporate more productive family time, even if it means getting my girls involved more in the kitchen with cooking/baking.  Playing games, getting my son out from in front of his electronics.  This is NOT a new year's resolution, just a reorganization of some personal things.  And books, I am going to devour the stack of books I have waiting for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment