Saturday, January 29, 2011

Parenting....

Today I had a chance to spend some time with Kari Jobe and Ben Pirtle.  In the two hours I sat in that small  room with them I could feel God in the midst.  This weekend is the D-Now weekend in our area and they were the speaker and the worship leader this year.  They took the time during the break out session (i think that is what it's called) to minister to the parents of the kids, for free.  I feel for the parents that did not take the time to join this meeting today because they truly missed out on seeing the heart of the people ministering to their children this weekend. 


They both opened up and shared things from the depths of their heart and I was truly blessed by both of them.  Knowing more about them made me feel even better about them ministering to my girls at D-Now.  Their transperency today about their lives as children and what their parents did right and wrong and how it shaped them into the people they are today was very encouraging.


Kari Jobe spoke about how her parents were always there for her.  And when they could not give her the answers she sought they ALWAYS pointed her to hearing from God.  They were open and honest and there for her.  She told a story about her dad just being there with her during a down time and how he just cried with her for the two hours she cried. 


Ben Pirtle said that one of the biggest mistakes parents make is not recognizing the gifts in their children.  Not honing in on those things that God placed within them, not trying to find common ground to develop those things, and putting pressure on them to be what the parents want them to do, or what the parents think would be the best for them. 


Of course I'm paraphrasing and telling this from how it impacted my heart, but I cannot impress how much I learned in that two hours.  Besides hearing Kari Jobe sing less than 10 feet from me and literally getting lost in the worship to the point of tears, I learned more about the parent I want to be. 


Ben spoke of this scientific test to determine a person's gifts and that out of the 7 billion people in the world only .6 of a person would score the same in the top 5 gifts (out of 50) as another person.  He followed that with that out of that 7 billion people in the world God chose ME to be Hannah and Mitchell's parent because He knew that only MY gifts would be the right ones to raise them. 


I am so thankful for all of the nuggets I took away from that meeting and I am truly thankful that those two amazing, talented people of God took the time to impart that wisdom and sharetheir heart with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment